St. Elizabeth Church located in Rózsák tere of the 7th District of Budapest was built (1893-1901) by Imre Steindl (1839-1902) who is more famously known for building (1885-1904) the Hungarian Parliament. St. Elizabeth church has a classic Neogothic design with sky reaching buttress supports topped with elegant crocket's, a symmetrical bell towers design at the front and a large gothic rose window in the middle.

The church is named after Elisabeth of Hungary (1207-1231) who was married to Ludwig IV of Thuringia. At an early age Elizabeth learned about the ideals of Francis of Assisi and did many charitable efforts including building a hospital for the sick, but sadly the later part of her life was under the cruel influence of inquisitor Konrad von Marburg. After her death many miracles of healing were reported around her grave and she was eventually canonized by Pope Gregory IX in the year 1235.
Budapest - St Elizabeth Church Back to Photo Index Page
Firefox This site has been cobbled together by Simon O'Callaghan
Contact Information: Simon O'Callaghan
All content is Copyright © 2000-2018
Hosted by ApisNetwork